Wednesday 28 October 2015

The Call

The Call

How far must I run to escape the call that burdens me? Surely the ends of the earth are far enough, but even there the call whispers to my most inner being. Even in silence, the voice that calls thunders into the depth of my soul. 

Are the oceans deep enough to drown the call that haunts me? Are the flames of Hell sufficient to silence the call that will not rest? Not even the spirit of fear is enough for the call to find a new host. 

The sun goes down and my shadow rests, yet the call neither rests nor returns whence it came from. Not even the passage of time has the power to render the call as complete. 

Walking through the valley of dry bones brings no hope of ending the call that has gone forth. Even the dead bones submit and cry out the call that haunts me. 

If only my heart were made of stone, then I might silence the voice that has called me! Yet even the stones heed the command and cry out, and so my heart of stone pleads with me to be obedient to the call.

All efforts to silence the call are done in vain. It is futile and utterly useless to resist that which I have no power to overcome. 

As surely as the sun sets below the horizon, it will once again arise and serve its purpose. The planets will run their course and return from where they came from. Indeed all of creation must submit to the call that has gone forth. 

If the call is of my own flesh and imagination then my efforts to silence it will prove victorious. If the call has come from the heavenly throne room then it cannot return empty or rendered as void. 

So, I will chase the sun over the horizon knowing full well that the call that haunts me will also rise with sun thats just out of my grasp. Perhaps the day will come when the sun will stand still and the call thats never far behind me, will find a resting place within my soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment